Tuesday 11 November 2008

Drying out some seeds

My beans are drying out in the front porch for next year. We grew runner beans and french beans. This is my first attempt at seed saving so I have ordered some seeds from the allotment catalogue as well. Not entirely convinced that I will manage to do it. The aim for the future is to keep saving them and watch the spending go down each year. We did really well for beans this year and we have got a lot in the freezer still. They will definately be going in the plot next year. We were picking them for months. Next year I think we will grow more french beans because you don't have to mess around preparing them for cooking so much.

This is our chilli crop. All four of them. We are delighted. The other ones got munched by the slugs. I didn't think slugs would eat chillis. I hope it burnt their mouths.


This is the mizuna I have planted last week. It is good for stirfrys and salads. I've got it growing in the porch. I've also started some salad leaves too. It is nice to see things growing even when the weather isn't too great and by doing this we should be picking our own salad leaves again soon.
These are the lovely gourds that the children grew on the allotment. They looked good as halloween decorations. Next year we are going to attempt to grow a pumpkin. I have ordered seeds for a halloween sized one first. If that works I might even attempt one of those giant ones that you can sit on.

No comments:

Post a Comment