Thursday 13 November 2008

The plot in November





























It was lovely and quiet at the allotment today, then I realised why, it was raining, cold and its November. While I was working the smell from the Mcvities factory keep wafting over, buttery biscuit smells were reminding me that I could be at home and nice and warm. I made a start on the paths today. My tiny edging spade was very unsuited for the job. After shifting 5 barrowfulls of leaves and twigs am feeling a litte envious of the plot next door with their concrete paths.

We didn't put down membrane first so the weeds have come through quite quickly. We have asked for a half plot instead of a quarter, so I am going to wait until we get our bigger plot before buying any membrane. They say we are looking at a waiting list of a year. I would just really like to grow some Asparagus or golden raspberries but we haven't the space.

Our spring cabbages seem to be doing quite well so far (see above), someone laughed when I told him I'd planted them. He has no faith. I'm sure that they will survive. Well I hope they will.

Whilst digging through the big pile of mulch was aware that last time a big frog jumped out at me. Since then I remember seeing Bill Oddie stick his hand in a simular pile and pull out a slow worm. This made me realise that something could be lurking inside. I carried on gingerly digging aware that any girlie screams could finish off one of old boys mooching around on their plots. Luckily the only thing to be dug out of the mulch pile was one little worm which I can deal with, well, with gloves on.

When I got to the nursery to pick up Sam I was covered in soil and my hair was soaking. Was aware that everyone else was stood around holding umbrellas and wearing white coats looking very clean and pressed. I was caked in mud a looking a little wild. When I got home I realised I had mud on my face too. Good job I have no shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment